Using Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy to Address Bedwetting
Is your child still wetting the bed? Hypnosis for bedwetting can help your child get a good night’s sleep and boost his/her self-esteem.
Let’s dive in 🙂
- Hypnotherapy is an effective and safe option for treating persistent bedwetting in children ages 7 and older.
- During hypnosis, kids remain fully aware while therapeutic suggestions promote nighttime bladder control and self-confidence.
- Research shows hypnosis helps many children achieve complete dryness through improved motivation and focus.
- For best results, hypnosis should be combined with lifestyle changes and practiced consistently over weeks to cement new habits.
Bedwetting, also known as nocturnal enuresis, is a common condition where a child over the age of 5 involuntarily urinates at night during sleep.
It is considered primary nocturnal enuresis when no prior period of nighttime bladder control has been established.
Bedwetting typically lasts until ages 5-7, but may persist longer. Only about 15% of cases continue past age 7. It occurs in both boys and girls. Bedwetting is often a familial problem.
Contributing factors include:
- Smaller bladder capacity
- Producing more urine at night
- Decreased ability to recognize a full bladder
- Not waking up to the urge to urinate
- Anxiety about using bathrooms outside the home
While frustrating, bedwetting is a manageable condition. There are various treatment for bedwetting options available to help achieve nighttime dryness.
Hypnosis for Bedwetting – Stay Dry at Night
Hypnotherapy is an effective and safe option for the treatment of nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting?. Hypnosis works by influencing the subconscious mind.
Under a relaxed & focused state of hypnosis:
- The child becomes receptive to positive suggestions promoting dry nights.
- The hypnotherapist provides imagery of waking up to a full bladder.
- Cues strengthen the brain-bladder connection to activate the bedwetting alarm.
- Self-hypnosis is taught to reinforce hypnotherapy for bedwetting at home.
Clinical hypnosis aims to build:
- Awareness of the bladder filling
- Motivation to keep the bed dry
- Confidence in nighttime control
- Empowerment over the body
Unlike the myth of mind control, the child remains fully aware and in control during hypnosis.
The Benefits of Hypnosis for Bedwetting
Studies like this controlled trial show hypnotherapy can yield positive outcomes for bedwetting, including:
- Achieving a high rate of dry nights
- Reducing relapse after initial improvement
- Providing results similar to prescription alarms
- Offering lasting dryness for many after treatment ends
Hypnotherapy promotes nighttime dryness through several mechanisms:
- Strengthening self-esteem and self-confidence
- Reducing anxiety and building bladder control
- Teaching children they can control their bodies
- Empowering kids to manage life’s challenges
While not effective for all, hypnosis gives children a sense of mastery over bedwetting without pressure. With realistic expectations, hypnotherapy can facilitate dryness for many families.
Who Can Benefit from Hypnosis?
Hypnotherapy may help children:
- With primary nocturnal enuresis
- Age 7 and older
- Struggling with bedwetting despite lifestyle changes
- Using other treatments like alarms with mixed success
- Wanting an alternative or supplemental approach
Hypnosis works best alongside:
- Adequate fluid intake and bathroom breaks
- Positive reinforcement of progress
- Routine sleep schedules
For optimal safety and results, work with a:
- Licensed mental health professional
- Hypnotherapist certified by the ASCH
- Provider experienced in pediatric hypnosis
With realistic expectations and personalized treatment, hypnotherapy can facilitate nighttime dryness for many children struggling with ongoing bedwetting.
What to Expect During Hypnosis Sessions & Hypnotherapy
The first appointment will likely involve:
- Discussing the child’s bedwetting history and goals
- Explaining how hypnosis works
- Answering any questions
- Doing a simple introductory induction
In the sessions:
- The hypnotherapist will guide the child into a focused, relaxed state using imagery, counting, or music.
- Positive suggestions will be made like “Your bladder is under your control” or “You wake up dry and refreshed”.
- Mental imagery will reinforce waking up to a full bladder and getting to the bathroom.
- Motivational messages boost self-confidence.
- Cues are given to practice self-hypnosis at home.
Standard protocols involve:
- Weekly sessions for 4-6 weeks.
- Each session lasts 30-50 minutes.
- Learning simple self-hypnosis techniques to use daily.
Some children enter hypnosis very easily, while others take more time. However, the experience remains comfortable and never scary. The child stays aware and in control.
Making Progress with Hypnosis, Bed Wetting, & Bladder Control
- Keep a calendar to track dry nights. This builds momentum.
- Notice any improvement like longer stretches of dryness.
- Add positive reinforcement like rewards for achievement.
- Stick with the treatment plan for several weeks to cement change.
- Use prompts or smartphone alerts to practice self-hypnosis daily.
- Continue self-hypnosis even after finishing sessions.
- Follow the hypnotherapist’s relapse prevention instructions.
- Return for booster sessions if bedwetting recurs.
- Be patient – every child responds differently.
Additional Tips for Success
- Watch fluid intake in the evenings but don’t restrict needed drinks.
- Make sure the child urinates right before bedtime.
- Follow a relaxing bedtime routine.
- Use night lights to help navigate to the bathroom.
- Make sure the mattress is protected.
- Emphasize that setbacks are normal.
- Focus on successes, don’t shame accidents.
- Remind the child that bedwetting happens to lots of kids.
- Frame it as a challenge to overcome together.
Hypnotherapy combined with lifestyle management and a positive attitude provides comprehensive support. With time and consistency, many children and adolescents achieve consistent dryness through hypnosis.
While frustrating, bedwetting is a common childhood condition that can be improved with thoughtful support. Hypnotherapy provides a safe, drug-free option to reduce nocturnal enuresis.
When combined with lifestyle changes, hypnosis helps many children achieve dryness and self-confidence. While not a cure-all, it is an excellent addition to standard treatment plans when practiced ethically. With realistic expectations and consistency, hypnotherapy can support nighttime dryness for many families struggling with ongoing bedwetting.