Rowing Your Boat Doesn’t Always Float Gently Downstream
I’ve always loved sleep, partially because I look forward to experiencing my dreams. Yet they say it’s the deep, dreamless sleep that benefits you most.
When I was in college, I wrote papers well into the middle of the night and was still energetic the next day. I didn’t even worry about the lack of sleep. How little we knew then of all the new distractions that would eventually disturb our dream-states.
Insomnia is no one’s friend, and its causes are complex. That’s why I’d like to introduce you to Dr. Mathew Walker, a psychiatrist, and insomnia expert. He offered several thought-provoking insights:
- Melatonin is triggered by sleeping in the dark for a few hours.
- BE religious about getting 8 hours of sleep. It helps to prevent cancer and heart disease. Working night time shifts are now being categorized as carcinogenic.
- Insufficient sleep is highly rated as a factor in dementia (i.e. Ronald Reagan).
- Before sleeping, try to dim down the lights and lower room temperature.
- Don’t stay in bed for too long. If you can’t sleep, go to another room and, in dim light, read a book until tired.
Does hypnosis help cure insomniacs? Yes, it can. In my process, I explore all aspects of my clients’ life which can play a role in feeling stressed prior to sleep. This also includes what medications they are currently using. Hypnosis can trigger neurochemicals stimulating the brain to relax deeply when approaching sleep. Meanwhile, BWRT helps lower the client’s anxiety level prior to sleeping.
A few years ago, a highly reputable, successful businessman in Portland came to see me. It had been years since he’d had a good night’s rest on a regular basis. In hypnotherapy for insomnia, I helped him return to an unresolved business conflict that had occurred years earlier, which churned in his mind ever since. The settlement of this dispute brought him immediate relief, and he promptly enjoyed the most relaxing night’s rest in years.
Need hypnotherapy for insomnia? I can help. Schedule a free appointment and let me help you get the rest you deserve.